Ingredients to make your own Rhubarb Crumble Muffins |
Muffin Mix | 175g Caster Sugar, 175g Rhubarb - chopped and diced, 2 tbsp Sunflower Oil, 1 Large Egg, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, 125ml Buttermilk, 200g Plain Flour, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Crumble Topping | 50g Muscovado Sugar (I added another 10-20g), 50g Plain Flour, 25g Porridge Oats (I added another 20g), 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon, 50g Butter
How to make the Autumnal Rhubarb Crumble Muffins |
1. Preheat your oven to 200C or 180C (fan) and line a 12 hole muffin tin
2. Mix caster sugar and diced rhubarb together before part cooking in the microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on the microwave. I didn't add any extra water
3. Whisk together the sunflower oil, egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk before pouring over the sugary rhubarb mixture
4. Next, add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the muscovado Sugar, 50g plain flour, oats and cinnamon before adding the butter and rub in until 'clumpy'.
6. Fill your 12 paper cases, then scatter with a thick layer of crumble mixture. This is where I decided the crumble mixture wasn't going to be enough and added extra oats and sugar.
7. Bake your muffins for 15-18 minutes, until golden and when tested, the stick comes out clean. Leave to cool enough, though don't let them go too cold before you tuck in.